You don’t have to be a writer to blog about your trip abroad. Everyone should blog while they’re traveling so they can remember and organize details and stories from their trip. As unforgettable as an experience may seem, it’s easy to forget things as time passes while you’re back in your routine life in the United States. Blogging also offers you a chance to sit down and reflect on your experiences, because time can move pretty fast when you’re traveling.
Your friends and family will love it, too. Since you won’t be in constant communication with them while you’re traveling, your blog will let them know what you’ve been up to and give them a better idea of your life abroad. Another plus – you won’t have to repeat the same stories to everyone who asks. They can just check out your blog!
Here are five tips for anyone who wants to blog on their study abroad trip.
1. Don’t let it stress you out. I’ll admit, I get flustered when people read my personal writings. When I was blogging abroad, I wanted to make sure that (A) Everything was included, (B) Everything sounded cool, (C) It’s enough writing but not too much, and (D) I was posting in a timely manner. Just let the writing flow. It’s your blog, after all.
2. Take notes. This is the best way to keep track of your people, places, and things. After a weekend in Paris, it’s hard to remember everything you did and saw–write down your favorite things.
3. Include details. Specifics make any piece of writing more interesting. Using your notes, give your readers some detail. What did you order for dinner at that delicious restaurant in Barcelona? It helps paint a picture for your friends and family back home.
4. Include photos. It’s hugely important to include visuals with your writings. They keep the reader interested and help you better explain a person, place or thing. So you rode the London Eye? Show your readers the view from the top. Read this article for tips on taking great photos.
5. Read other travel blogs. Get inspiration from other study abroad students and travelers. As a general rule, the more you read, the better you write.
I highly recommend using WordPress for your blog – it’s simple to use and has great themes to choose from.
Enjoy writing about your experiences. Your blog will become one of your best souvenirs.